Monday, January 23, 2012

Gen 8, 9 & 10

God remembered Noah.

Good thing, too. I imagine it was getting pretty stinky in there. Chapter 10 is a genealogy chapter, and I did read it. I don't know how much I got out of it, but I am glad there are other people out there who make that their focus of study, able to trace back the origins of the human race through these records.

This is also where we see God's promise manifested in the rainbow. I remember in high school one of my Sunday School teachers saying how much it saddened her to see God's promise to us, of safety and beauty, being distorted to represent something completely different. And it's true, having grown up in surrounded by that culture, I do have to make an effort to see a rainbow and remember the real meaning behind it.

This also makes me stop and think: many people, at least as children, have an inherent fear of thunderstorms. And, presumably, thunderstorms were involved in the Great Flood. Doesn't it speak to God's love for us that He made His physical reminder that He will never use a flood to destroy the earth to pop up after every storm? I mean, just having it written in the Bible would be sufficient. It is for every other one of His promises (just throwing that in there). And yet, it's like after every rain, God is telling us not to be afraid, that we don't need to worry, He still promises. I can't express it very well right now, coffee is working slow today. But I like that.

This week's memory verse:

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16

No comments: