Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Joshua 8, 9 & 10

I was wondering while I was reading, how there are so many battles in the Old Testament, and how so many people have a serious problem with it. Joshua led the Israelites, essentially razing the Middle East. Over and over it says they took a city and left no one alive. Now, when they did leave some alive, it always led to misfortune - they'd leave the women alive and then the Israelite men would get seduced into idolatry or other alternative lifestyles. So there is that. But I wonder if there isn't another layer to it.

The people who make treaties with Israel come to them and say, "We have heard about you and your God..." not because of the miracle in Egypt (primarily) or sending down manna and quail for days on end. No, it was because of their battle conquests. And that brings foreigners into the tribes and leads them to worship God.

I wonder if perhaps that's another reason God chose to lead the Israelites in battle to claim the Promised Land, rather than just striking down all the people already inhabiting it supernaturally. I wonder if it was because it gave the people a chance to make peace and form treaties rather than be annihilated, because at that time, they would recognize superior military strength as having supernatural implications that today we wouldn't.

I don't know. I don't have a conclusion. I just wonder.

No comments: