Friday, January 27, 2012

Matthew 10, 11 & 12

My mind is a jumble today, so I'm having trouble forming coherent thoughts. However, one thing that stuck out to me was this: When Jesus was talking about John the Baptist, among many other things he says that John "did not come eating and drinking, and they said he had a demon. The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they called him a glutton and a drunkard."

First of all, now Scriptural validation for my pet saying, "No matter what you do, there's always someone ready and willing to tell you you're doing it wrong."

But secondly, I know there's a whole contentious school of thought about whether or not Jesus drank actual wine or just grape juice. I was raised by juicers, but how could anyone have accused Jesus of being a "drunkard" if he only ever drank plain old grape juice? I do know people who think you're a drunkard even if you only have a glass of champagne to celebrate the New Year. It doesn't take becoming drunk to make legalists think you're an alcoholic. Jesus wouldn't have had to do more than socially nurse a goblet of wine at a wedding to set their tongues wagging.

Just my random thoughts for the day powered by pure caffeine. I'd probably do better if I had some protein before I did these. And now we're off-topic.

No comments: