Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Job 7, 8 & 9

So, if there's anyone who sees this and wonders why I haven't posted in...a while...it's because I fell off the wagon on my Bible readings. I got to experience today the theory of being able to miss a few days and not lose my place or have to read 37 chapters to "catch up." Which, on the one hand, is really nice. But I certainly felt the difference in those days where I didn't read. A big part of that is the Hubs had a long weekend, and it's a lot more difficult for me to keep up with my daily routine when he's home. In fact, everything pretty much goes out the window. I'm still working on that.

Anyway, it could just be because I'm extra hormonal right now, but today's reading was pretty depressing. We get more of Job's friends telling him, this time, the reason his kids died was because they obviously deserved it, and he deserved to lose them, because of some sin somewhere in his past. We still know that's not true, and on some level so does Job. However, he's wearing down. His reply this time is nowhere near as strong as it was before. He's still fairly confident he didn't bring on this misfortune because of sin, and still testifies that God has the right to do whatever He wants, but has now reached the conclusion that God just must not care about the people He hurts. Chapter 9 ends with the words, "I am on my own."

Ugh.

Thank goodness the Bible isn't just one chapter (like Proverbs 31) or just one book of the Bible (like Galatians). We not only have the whole rest of Job to finish the story, but the entire Scriptures to tell us both about God's sovereignty and His loving-kindness. I'm ready to get to that part.

No comments: