Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Job 8, 9 & 10

I'll be honest, when I started this one, I wasn't really excited. Job is pretty depressed at this point and It's not fun reading negativity. Not real negativity, anyway. And then another one of his friends pops up and starts saying, well, a lot of good things actually. Talking about how God is sovereign and powerful and all-knowing...and then saying, so obviously He knows you've sinned, Job, so stop pretending and just confess your sin already.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but if there's anything to learn from Job's friends, it's that we can take good biblical truth and absolutely ruin it by putting our own spin on it. It's like the people who use the book of Proverbs as ammo. We may be "right" in what we're saying, but not in how we're saying or how we're applying it.

And then, when this friend stops speaking, at the beginning of Chapter 10, Job gets snarky. I almost laughed out loud. "Wisdom will die with you!" Yes, obviously you know way more about my situation than I do, so please, continue telling me everything I'm doing wrong from a position of total ignorance. And he goes on to say, even fish know as much as you do on this subject. Bahaha.

At least, that's how I read it. I'm sure that's not the model way to reply to a well-meaning idiot...but it made me smile today.

No comments: